Story
First Baptist Church of Magnolia
This past Sunday, August 16, 2026, The First Baptist Church here in Magnolia celebrated their 200th year anniversary. The turn out was a success one with roughly 250 in attendance. A group of drivers arrived with...
This past Sunday, August 16, 2026, The First Baptist Church here in Magnolia celebrated their 200th year anniversary. The turn out was a success one with roughly 250 in attendance. A group of drivers arrived with antique vehicles to display for those who came to celebrate. "A parking place was nowhere to be found around the church" said a former member who attempted the event on Sunday.
A welcome was done by Bro. John Rushing followed by the prayer and then a special recognition by Tom Walsh. A call to worship was performed by Tom and Martha Walsh "Surely the Presence of the Lord is in this Place". The offertory was by done by Glenda Womack followed by special music with Tom Walsh "No Other Word For Grace But Amazing". Bro. Barry Ward did Worship in the Word and then was completed with a closing prayer.
The church has had a rich and vibrant history when first begun on August 18, 1826 "under the leadership of Rev. Charles Felder, Rev. Asa Mercer, and Rev. Shadrack Coker in Chatawa in a log building that was called Salem Baptist Church."
After the building was destroyed by fire in 1839, it then moved to the up and coming town of Magnolia, Ms. A fire claimed the second building in 1869 on land given to the church southwest of Magnolia by J. J. Carter. It was after moving into the third building located on land given to the church by Sarah Coney in 1873 the name was then changed to Magnolia Baptist Church.
After the members continued to grow, a new building was raised on more land given by Sarah Coney in 1895. It is thought that this is when the name was changed to First Baptist Church of Magnolia. A dominant feature within the building was a set of twenty-five decorative and sixteen speaking pipes that reached to the ceiling located behind the pulpit.
It was in 1941 after much more growth and needs changed, a larger church was needed. The church moved to its current location on the corner of Highway 48 and Highway 51 in Magnolia.
It was in 1962 a new church was begun. It was in 1995 after a renovation that "a massive campaign was undertaken to restore the pipe organ that was dedicated to the memory of Mrs. Katie Forman Brumfield and Mrs. Grace Lane Leggett". In 2009 the fellowship hall was renovated and then dedicated to Melvin and Mary Nell Starrett.
According to the program "Opportunities for Worship" are on Sunday, Bible Study at 9:30am and Worship Service at 10:30am. Wednesdays are Prayer and Devotion at 6:00pm.